A Phone Tree Bible Study
The Phone Tree Bible Study: Discerning the Voice of God: How To Recognize When God Speaks by Priscilla Shirer
The Phone Tree Bible Study Period: Starts – Sunday, October 2, 2011; Ends – Sunday, October 30, 2011
Objective of Study: Learn how to recognize when God speaks.
Week 1 Phone Tree Focus: Anticipating the Voice of God (Session 1/Week 1 from book)
Reading Assignment: Habakkuk 1-3
Additional Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 5:31, Micah 7:7, Jeremiah 33:3, Proverbs 3:5-6, Psalm 5:3; 27:14, 2 Peter 3:9, Matthew 7:24
A Few Points from Priscilla:
– “Discerning the voice of God is a divine mystery because it is a supernatural work the Holy Spirit does in us.”
– “This is where clear communication with God begins: with a believer approaching her relationship with God and His Word with anticipation, expecting Him to speak.”
– “Not until Habakkuk’s approach to God changed from doubtful to confident and expectant did he begin to receive directions from God as to what he should do.”
– If we value God’s Word…we should be willing to wait patiently and not move until we have received it.”
– “Listening to God involves your participation. You must engage your body, mind, and spirit.”
– “Faith in God’s Word is the final component necessary to hear from God and clearly discern His voice.”
Anticipating (The Lesson Synopsis):
During week 1, Priscilla reflected on how many Christians tend to spend their lives searching for intimacy with God. She pointed out that even though she, like many others, grew up exposed to the church environment, she lacked a true connection with the Lord. She acknowledged that she had a one-sided view of her relationship with God—- she talked but she did not really expect to hear from Him. She did not understand why she did not have the type of relationship that others had, especially those mentioned in the Bible. She summed week 1 up by saying that she never anticipated that God would really speak to her about personal details in her life. As time went on, however, Priscilla noted how she began to recognize that throughout scripture believers that called out to God looked expectantly and eagerly for the response God would offer. She understood that true believers waited to hear specific directions from God.
1) If you have experienced a time when your prayers seemed unheard, how did you feel toward God?
2) Which prayer of Habakkuk’s reflects your current feelings about hearing God’s voice? (Hab. 1:2-3 or Hab 1:12-13)
3) Could your level of expectancy be a factor in how clearly and frequently you hear God’s voice?
Hearing and Doing (Take Away):
– Clear communication with God begins with a believer approaching her relationship to God and His Word with anticipation, expecting Him to speak.
– If we come to the Lord doubting His ability to speak, we will have a difficult time.
– Be willing to wait patiently for God’s directions, and do not move until you receive it.
– God clearly speaks to His children. Know your power— prayer, meditation, worship, and faith.
Click on the LifeWay link below in order to see how you can purchase Priscilla’s book. This link also provides information on how you can access a book sample, as well as on how to purchase Priscilla’s downloadable video sessions for this bible study.