A Phone Tree Bible Study
The Phone Tree Bible Study: Discerning the Voice of God: How To Recognize When God Speaks by Priscilla Shirer
The Phone Tree Bible Study Period: Starts – Sunday, October 2, 2011; Ends – Sunday, October 30, 2011
Objective of Study: Learn how to recognize when God speaks.
Week 2 Phone Tree Focus: The Holy Spirit (Session 2/Week 2 from book)
Reading Assignment: Ephesians 1:13-14; John 16:13; Romans 8:14
Additional Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 5:24; Hebrews 1:1-4; John 16:7; Proverbs 20:27; 1 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:5; John 16:8; Romans 12:2: Romans 6:13; 2 Thessalonians 2:13
A Few Points from Priscilla:
– “The primary method God uses to speak has changed, but His goal has not. He wants His children to hear, recognize, and obey His voice.”
– “We must leave room for God to be God.”
– “While we often wish we had what the Old Testament believers had, they probably wanted what we have: direct, personal access to God.”
– “When you become a Christian, your spirit becomes new. You don’t become changed, you become exchanged.”
– “We must develop spiritual ears to hear the Spirit’s leading.”
– “The Holy Spirit is God’s control tower. He sees the end from the beginning and seeks to guide us through this life.”
– “The more you come to recognize God’s voice and practice your ability to discern God’s leading, the easier it will be for you to know when God is talking.”
Holy Awareness (The Lesson Synopsis):
During week 2, Priscilla deeply reflected on the Holy Spirit of God. She discussed His role and function under the Old Testament covenant and the New Testament covenant. She made plain the impact and influence He can have in our lives and in our decision-making processes. Through personal accounts, she revealed how the Spirit confirmed many things in her life. She concluded week 2 by saying, “As you yield to and obey the Holy Spirit’s leading in your life, He conforms your soul to the image of Christ and uses your body as the instrument to carry out His purposes.” She was adamant in her indication that we must immerse ourselves in the Word of God and be willing to cooperate with the Holy Spirit.
1) Upon a close examination of your life, do you find that you are more cooperative or uncooperative with the Holy Spirit of God?
2) Do you find it difficult to adhere to the leading of the Holy Spirit?
3) How intimate are you with God?
Hearing and Doing (Take Away):
– That which the Holy Spirit speaks is in perfect harmony with the Word of God.
– There is a distinct difference between feelings of consciousness and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
– Our spirits should be in alignment with the Spirit of God.
– The Spirit of God can give us a new mind and a new heart.
– When our lives are in agreement with the Holy Spirit and we are cooperative with regard to His instructions and leading, peace and understanding can be ours.
Click on the LifeWay link below in order to see how you can purchase Priscilla’s book. This link also provides information on how you can access a book sample, as well as on how to purchase Priscilla’s downloadable video sessions for this bible study.