A Phone Tree Bible Study
The Phone Tree Bible Study: Discerning the Voice of God: How To Recognize When God Speaks by Priscilla Shirer
The Phone Tree Bible Study Period: Starts – Sunday, October 2, 2011; Ends – Sunday, October 30, 2011
Objective of Study: Learn how to recognize when God speaks.
Week 4 Phone Tree Focus: The Nature of God’s Voice (Session 3/Weeks 4 and 5 from book)
Reading Assignment: Psalm 119:10,18; Ephesians 2:10
Additional Scripture Reading: 2 Chronicles 16:9; Exodus 34: 6-7; Malachi 3:6-7; 1 Corinthians 13:4-8; John 8:11; John 16:33; Numbers 6: 26; Psalm 29:11; 2 Timothy 1:7; Psalm 33:4; John 7: 17; Romans 8: 28
A Few Points from Priscilla:
– “God wants to speak to you because He wants you to know Him; knowing His direction is just a by-product. God seeks to reveal truth about Himself because this knowledge will lay the firm path you can walk to fulfilling God’s purpose for your life.”
– “Hearing God will always be designed to point you to Him and open up your understanding and your experience concerning who He is. Without knowledge of the nature of God, obedience to Him becomes more difficult, if not impossible.”
– “God’s purpose in lovingly revealing our sin is to encourage us to acknowledge it and confess it so He can change us.”
– “God’s personal word to you will be accompanied by a sense of assurance and peace…Even when doing something that seems impossible, God’s peace will accompany your actions if it is His will.”
– “He [God] will never speak a word to you that will contradict His character or His sovereignly designed plans.”
– “Even seemingly meaningless activities are used by God as a tool to guide us toward His plans. Never think your circumstances are disconnected from God’s leading and His will. Don’t spend your time wishing you could get out of the season of life you are in; rather, spend your time looking fervently for God’s hand in your situation.”
– “One of the clearest ways to discern God’s voice is to ask Him to open your spiritual eyes to see His activity. When we see it, we need to immediately desert what we are doing to join Him. When God allows you to see His activity in the circumstances of your life, you have heard the voice of God.”
– “God’s plan will require you to step away from the comfort zone of your natural abilities so you can experience His supernatural possibilities.”
Revelations (The Lesson Synopsis):
In this section of the book, Priscilla reveals that one of God’s greatest desires is to make Himself known to us. She states that He leads us through His Word and by His Spirit into a more intimate relationship with Him. She further affirms that God’s aim is always to steer us in the direction of His grace. Priscilla goes on to discuss the difference between condemnation and conviction.
In describing God’s plan for His children, Priscilla lets us know that God speaks through His Word, through His Spirit and through circumstances (Ecclesiastes 3).
1) Does your request to hear God’s voice revolve mostly around:
– your desire to know what God wants you to do
– your desire to know where God wants you to go
– your desire to know God
2) Ask yourself what you desire most:
– to know God’s plans and adjust your life to fit them
– to proceed with your plans and hope God will bless them
3) Are you willing to submit your agenda to God’s?
Hearing and Doing (Take Away):
– The more you know and believe to be true about who God is and what He can do, the more willing you become to obey what He commands.
– “The purpose of the voice of condemnation is to push you away from God’s presence— that which is the very source of your victory. The purpose of the voice of conviction is to press you into the face of Christ.” – B.
– God wants you to see what He can do and admit what you cannot do.
– If God calls you, He will equip you.
– There is a divine purpose and reason for where you are, when you are, why you are, and in what you are called to do in your present circumstance.
Click on the LifeWay link below in order to see how you can purchase Priscilla’s book. This link also provides information on how you can access a book sample, as well as on how to purchase Priscilla’s downloadable video sessions for this bible study.