The Phone Tree Bible Study Group’s 2012 Summer Challenge
Gaining Wisdom – 8 weeks in the Proverbs
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 4-7
Chapter 4 Summary – > The wise counsel of a parent is meant for good and growth.
Power Scripture: “Take hold of instruction; do not let go. Guard her, for she is your life.” – Proverbs 4:13
Practical Life Message: That which you have been given in the way of wise counsel and righteous instruction will equip you to deal with life occurrences. Nothing that has been imparted by a loved one is without reason or cause. Value the lessons.
Chapter 5 Summary – > The life path of the one who has chosen spiritual adultery is paved with dissatisfaction.
Power Scripture: “Keep your way far from her and do not go near the door of her house…” – Proverbs 5:8
Practical Life Message: Resting in the arms of the betrayer – the one who contributes to spiritual demise – has no purpose. Although time with her brings pleasure for a moment, she offers nothing but an empty delight. Only folly awaits the man who falls for her.
Chapter 6 Summary – > The LORD is clear on what He will and will not tolerate.
Power Scripture: “There are six things which the LORD hates… – Proverbs 6:16
Practical Life Message: The LORD God clearly defines that which is good and that which is bad; that which is right and that which is wrong. He clarifies so that there is no doubt and no question. The upright man acknowledges this while the wicked man scoffs.
Chapter 7 Summary – > It is but an easy task for the adulteress to ensnare the naïve.
Power Scripture: “Her house is the way to Sheol, descending to the chambers of death.” – Proverbs 7:27
Practical Life Message: Wisdom and understanding guard and protect against the enticing and provocative ways of the harlot. They must be worn at all times, being ever-present and in hand. They must be readily accessed and referred to frequently so that they might shield the innocent.
7 Questions to Consider:
1) Do you listen to sound teaching or do you abandon well-meaning instruction?
2) Have you earnestly sought to understand the wisdom that has been presented to you?
3) Are you easily swayed by unrighteousness?
4) When your foot slips off the straight path of God’s light, what is your typical response?
5) Have you tried to find satisfaction in the arms of God or in the arms of the harlot (the world, idols, etc.)?
6) What words and actions proceed from your heart?
7) Have you elected to view wisdom as your “sister” and understanding as your “intimate friend?”
His Word. Life Relevance. Holy Direction.