A Phone Tree Bible Study Series
The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
The Pursuit: A Soul Athirst (Week 1) – – > Intro/Preface/Chap 1
During week one of our featured study, Tozer will help us to focus our eyes heavenward toward the throne of God. In very few words, he will encourage us to peer into the holy under the directorship of the Holy Spirit so that He can revive us from our spiritually impoverished states. Tozer will urge us to grant the LORD free reign over our lives and hearts so that He might raise us up into a place of true worship.
Quotes from Tozer:
– “Thanks to our splendid Bible societies and to other effective agencies for the dissemination of the Word, there are today millions of people who hold ‘right opinions,’ probably more than ever before in the history of the Church. Yet I wonder if there was ever a time when true spiritual worship was at a lower ebb.”
– ” For it is not mere words that nourish the soul, but God Himself, and unless and until hearers find God in personal experience they are not the better for having heard the truth.”
– ” The Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God, that they may enter into Him, that they may delight in His Presence, may taste and know the inner sweetness of the very God Himself in the core and center of their hearts.”
– “The continuous and unembarrassed interchange of love and thought between God and the soul of the redeemed man is the throbbing heart of New Testament religion.”
– “The stiff and wooden quality about our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire. Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth.”
– “We must simplify our approach to Him [God]. We must strip down to essentials…”
The Search: Scripture Review/Meditation – – >
Hosea 6:3; Exodus 33:18; Romans 11:33; Psalm 63:8; Psalm 42:1-2; John 17:3; Philippians 3:10; Philippians 3:8
The Vision Quest: Discussion Questions/Spiritual Life Fitness Challenges – – >
1) Does the Bible speak of God giving us a heart to know Him? (Spiritual Life Fitness Challenge: List all identified Scripture references.)
2) What personal value is there in knowing and pursuing the LORD?
3) If you were to assess your heart status for God at this season in your life, would you say that He has your whole heart, a part of your heart, or none of your heart?
4) Has your thirst and hunger for God been satisfied? Why or why not?
5) How is intimacy with God manifested in the life of Christ? (Spiritual Life Fitness Challenge: List 1-2 examples of intimacy between God the Father and God the Son.)
6) What “infinite riches” do you hope to secure in your glorious pursuit of God?
7) Are you willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of knowing God more?
The Prayer: Blessing – – >
Father, for Your presence, we are truly thankful. Every word of praise we could offer would never be enough to express our gratitude for Your unwavering and merciful love. As we begin this study – The Pursuit of God – we ask that You reveal Yourself to us in a most profound way. Satisfy us as only You can. Bring about a true spiritual revival. Direct us by Your sweet Spirit. Grant us a greater holy kinship with Your Son. And let us walk forward forever changed. In the name of Jesus. Amen