A Phone Tree Bible Study Series
The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
The Pursuit: In Search of His Presence (Week 3) – – > Chapters 3-5
During week three of our featured study, Tozer will share insights on what is required for the dark veil of separation to be removed from our lives. He will speak to how the once estranged can begin to understand, to comprehend, and to grasp the Divine. He will also guide us in discovering the grand presence of the Most High.
Quotes from Tozer:
– ”At the heart of the Christian message is God Himself waiting for His redeemed children to push in to conscious awareness of His Presence.”
– “We have but to look in our own hearts and we shall see it [this opaque veil] there, sewn and patched and repaired…an enemy to our lives and an effective block to our spiritual progress.”
– ”Self is the opaque veil that hides the Face of God from us. It can be removed only in spiritual experience…”
– “We apprehend the physical world by exercising the faculties given us for the purpose, and we possess spiritual faculties by means of which we can know God and the spiritual world if we will obey the Spirit’s urge and begin to use them.”
– “Faith enables our spiritual sense to function. Where faith is defective the result will be inward insensibility and numbness toward spiritual things.”
– “A spiritual kingdom lies all about us, enclosing us, embracing us, altogether within reach of our inner selves, waiting for us to recognize it.”
– “The great Reality is God who is Author of that lower and dependent reality which makes up the sum of created things, including ourselves.”
– “As we begin to focus upon God the things of the spirit will take shape before our inner eyes.”
– “We have within us the ability to know Him if we will but respond to His overtures. (And this we call pursuing God!)”
The Search: Scripture Review/Meditation – – >
Hebrews 10:19; John 3:16-21; Psalm 34:8; John 10:27; Hebrews 11:6; Matthew 5:8; Psalm 139; Acts 17:28
The Vision Quest: Discussion Questions/Spiritual Life Fitness Challenges – – >
1) Are you willing to die (to self) in order to live?
2) Spirit and truth love and worship of God is essential in the life of the seeker. Do you have an understanding of what this means and/or a willingness of heart to discover the meaning even further?
3) Do you have an active or inactive faith? (Spiritual Life Fitness Challenge: Compare and contrast the lives of King Saul and King David. Identify ways in which each may have demonstrated an active faith or an inactive faith.)
4) What do you long for most in your relationship with God?
5) Have you prayed about having an ever-increasing awareness of God’s divine presence? Why or why not?
6) How does it make you feel to know that God is present even when you would prefer Him not to be?
7) What is it exactly that you believe about God, about Jesus, and about the Holy Spirit? (Spiritual Life Fitness Challenge: Journal about the aforementioned and uncover what your “believing self” believes.)
The Prayer: Blessing – – >
Holy and Most Cherished Father, in Your Presence only can we be known as we truly are. You see us minus the paint and the pretty, and still You love us. Thank You. Forgive us for desiring more of self and our inflated interests than we desire You. Help us to want You more and to crave the things of Your Spirit. We seek You and Your way earnestly, especially now that Your Presence has been both seen and experienced in this reality. In the name of Jesus. Amen.