A Phone Tree Bible Study Series based on The Patriarchs by Beth Moore
Objective of Study: Learn what it means to encounter the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
Week 2 Message: The LORD Who Spoke…the God Who Sees
Most Notable Quote: “We are not an afterthought of God. We are the point of His involvement with this planet. He does not just tolerate us, He pursues us. Indeed, He seeks us though we are never out of sight.” (p. 35)
Assigned Scripture Reading: Psalm 8:4-6; Genesis 16-19; Exodus 6:3; Romans 4:9-12; 2 Peter 2:6-10a; 2 Peter 3:3-10; 1 John 1:5; John 14:23; 2 Peter 1:1-11
– Review the major decisions that Abram/Abraham and Sarai/Sarah made. Notice whether or not they consulted God prior to acting on their decisions.
– Keep a record of the things that the angel of the LORD said and did in this week’s reading.
– On a page in your spiritual fitness journal, draw a table with two columns. On one side of the table, write down the words, “God appeared.” On the other side, write down the words, “God spoke.” List the things you discover this week related to the two.
– List all of the I will statements of God to Abram/Abraham.
– Define the word circumcision.
– Complete an investigation on the following names: Yahweh, El Roi, and El Shaddai.
– Journal your thoughts about how God rescued Abram/Abraham, Sarai/Sarah and Lot in their particular circumstances.
1) Should God be involved in every decision-making process in our lives?
2) Have you ever tried to “assist” God with finding a solution to your problems?
3) Why is it important for us to understand that God sees us?
4) For what reason(s) do you think God rescues us from our very own personal versions of Sodom and Gomorrah?
5) Do you believe that God is an action-WORD God? If so, do you think that we are called to be an action-WORD people? (Consider the internal and external implications of this.)