1) Do you seek God first in all things or do you tend to prefer self-guided satisfaction as a means to an end?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual, more often than not, tends to make a habit of pleasing self first and then praying for God’s favor. She acts without thought or regard for God’s desire and is driven to satisfy herself. She sees no problem with this, until she sees a problem.
2) Do you actively study or do you solely rely on past knowledge or previously taught truths from the pulpit?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual tends to have a knowledge that remains largely unchanged and undeveloped. She tends to fall back on milk instead of moving on to meat. She may say that she craves knowledge, but she does not pursue the course of obtaining it.
3) Do you allow Satan’s lies and deceptions to sway your faith the majority of the time?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual wants to hear something, but often has trouble clearly discerning what is what. She believes the negative, hope-stealing taunts of the evil one before she believes the promises and truths of the Highest One. She does not know what type of ground her seed falls on, therefore that which she might have known is choked, stolen, or fatally killed stone dead.
4) Do you tolerate, accept or engage in stale worship practices?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual might go to church, she might sit on the front pew, and she may stand on her feet when the Word is read, however, she is doing so robotically. What she does each week has become a routine of activities to be checked off a list – enter the building, say hello, sit on the pew, read the bulletin, sing a song, open the Bible, listen and look, take communion, pray, then go home. She is detached in every sense of the word.
5) Do you believe there is nothing else for you to learn…from him, her or them?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual is a know-it-all who knows nothing at all. In her vanity, she attempts to show a greatness of knowledge. She does this to conceal both her pride and her ignorance. She believes she has a higher knowledge and that she cannot be taught by others.
6) Do you believe your truth is the only truth?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual believes that she has the truth…period. While she may “entertain” the points of view of others, she refuses to consider any truth other than her own as valid. She is stubborn and hard-hearted and is unwilling to be open about the possibility of a deeper truth.
7) Do you lack passion when it comes to searching the Scriptures for answers?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual is the individual who has lost her passion. She has lost her zeal, her drive, her enthusiasm for digging into the Word. She is the person who speaks of wanting to delve into the Bible, but she does not for one reason or another. The spark of love, the fire, and the thrill of the pursuit have diminished and she wanders aimlessly in the desert of blandness.
8) Do you sing without offering up praise?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual sings but her praise does not come from her heart. The melody of her heart, in fact, is no longer in harmony with God. She has no rhythm of the soul to guide her and produces nothing but empty words.
9) Do you find fault with fellowship and do nothing more than complain about its lack of meaning in your life or have you become so comfortable and expecting that you have cemented your role as head chairwoman/lead speaker of the house over the fellowship of believers?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual presents in two ways. She is either consistently bothered by everything associated with the building of relationships within the body or she is so set in her ways that you cannot tell her a thing because she’s been there and done that enough times to know how it is meant to go. This person knows her part cold and she plays it as such.
10) Do you simply “pay a bill” when it comes to tithing and offerings or do you give as you prosper from the heart?
Discouraging Tone of Complacency: The complacent individual gives because it is expected of her. She places no value in who she gives to or why it matters. She is a giver in the public arena but she misses the mark in the private. Firstfruit is far beyond her capacity to understand.
Question-to-Go: How do you see yourself as it relates to Revelation 3:15-17?
Coming next week…Moving Beyond Spiritual Complacency