A Special Phone Tree Heart-to-Heart Discussion Series
Heart Wide Open – Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus: (A Quote from the Book): “…we can study the Word, quote the Word, and speak the Word. We can sit and stand in the church year after year. We can have amazing head knowledge about the Bible. But until we submit our own desires to God’s and apply resistance to the ‘weight’ of our flesh, our faith won’t grow…Only our own personal resistance training – regularly moving aside the weight of our flesh to choose God’s will over our own – leads to increased faith.
Without a doubt, yielding our will to God’s can be very difficult. The flesh gets loud about demanding its way. But when we submit and choose humility – exalting the Father’s will over our own will – we’re empowered to obey through the grace of the One who lives in us…Christ lives in us to obey for us.”
Table Talk: There are two key points that Tomlinson made in Chapter 5 that I would really like to emphasize this week.
1) until we submit our own desires to God’s and apply resistance to the ‘weight’ of our flesh, our faith won’t grow
2) Christ lives in us to obey for us
Do I even need to say more than that? These powerful words definitely speak for themselves. And what should our takeaway be? Simply, this – submit to God, resist the flesh, and let Christ live in us. He’s already done it – whatever IT is or whatever we need IT to be – for us. He has given us the pureness of His life, the trueness of His Spirit, and the wholeness of His love, instead of the death we deserved.
Table Talk Discussion Questions:
1) What is the Biblical definition of submission and why is it important to understand?
2) Do you have a problem with submitting to God or with surrendering your will to Him? Why?
3) Are the desires that you have in sync with the desires that God has for you?
4) Is it each one of us individually who moves aside the “weight” of our own flesh, or does the LORD actually do it for us?
5) What does it mean to you to know that Christ lives in you?
6) Does knowing that Christ lives in you and obeys for you cause you to look at faithful obedience in a different way?
7) How do faith and grace connect?
Prayer: LORD God, every day we are reminded of the greatness, the magnificence, and the exaltedness of You. We recognize what Most High really and truly means. (Please forgive us, however, when we momentarily lose our minds and forget.) We celebrate You God and trust ourselves only in Your keeping. We confess that we struggle with submission, with surrender. And we admit that we need Your help with this. This weight that we have held onto for far too long has become burdensome; it encumbers us greatly. We need You to enliven us and to deliver us from ourselves. In the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
To Read an Excerpt From This Book and To Order Your Copy: Heart Wide Open – Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson