A Special Phone Tree Heart-to-Heart Discussion Series
Heart Wide Open – Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus: (Quotes from the Book): “The list of personal attributes we’re encouraged to add to our faith is capped off with brotherly affection and love.
It doesn’t take a Bible scholar to see that God intends for us to walk in love…
Crazy, often confounding, new and improved love – this is the everyday life God expects of us because Christ has made it possible.
…Christ in us empowers us to love as God loves!”
Table Talk: LOVE. We know we should have it and we know we should do it, but oftentimes, it is one of the hardest, most difficult, most challenging things to do. Why is that? Is it because it requires something of us? Is it because once we embrace the lesson regarding it, then we have no excuse not to demonstrate it toward God Himself or any others? Is it because it brings forth a transformation of being that changes us from who we once were into who we are now called to be?
Thankfully, we can love beyond ourselves because Christ now lives in us. His love – which becomes our love when we choose to follow Him – enables us to love the LORD with our all and to love others as ourselves. His love equips us to extend grace as well as to receive it. His love empowers us to love in spite of any negativity or obstacles caused by situations or by people.
Table Talk Discussion Questions:
1) If you had to define love, what would you say about it?
2) Do you think that in order to effectively love someone outside of yourself, you have to love God first?
3) What Bible verse on love resonates the most with you and why?
4) Considering the lives of David, Paul, and Peter, what were some of their greatest demonstrations of love toward the LORD and toward others?
5) What does it mean to love the LORD with your all?
6) Is it possible to love someone who has hurt you? Forgive someone who has wronged you? Discuss.
7) Are we meant to be transformed (as it relates to love and loving outside of self) by Christ?
Prayer: LORD, all that You require of us is possible through Christ. That includes love. Help us to love like Christ loved. Teach us to let go of all those things that are anti-love. We trust You to transform us in every way. In the name of the Savior, Jesus the Christ who is LOVE itself. Amen.
To Read an Excerpt From This Book and To Order Your Copy: Heart Wide Open – Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson