The Great Surrender…Learning How to Live Like Jesus
Jesus Christ was and is the greatest Teacher of all. His life and example serve as a compass for us, guiding and giving our lives direction and meaning. By studying His experiences, we can assuredly learn how to engage in the Great Surrender.
The Scripture Study: Mark 1
The Lesson Objective (the primary focus as it relates to surrender): To abandon self entirely to the powerful influence of the LORD and His Holy Spirit in order to learn how to live a Christ-like life
– Complete a word study on the word surrender.
– After your word study has been completed, read Mark 1. Read this chapter at least twice. The first time you read, try to notice the behavior, actions and experiences of Jesus. The second time you read, make a point of underlining those things that resonate with you.
– In your study notes, list the descriptive indicators that demonstrate how Jesus abandoned Himself to the influence of His Father and the Spirit of God.
1) Would it be appropriate to say that Jesus Christ surrendered Himself to the LORD and/or to His Spirit?
2) What were the actions or behaviors of Jesus that might have reflected a life surrendered?
3) What did the Holy Spirit do to Jesus post baptism?
4) Did the Holy Spirit help Jesus in any way during His wilderness experience?
5) What is the significance of prayer when considering a surrendered life?
6) What is a life surrendered all about?
7) How do you surrender to the LORD on a daily basis?
The Take Away:
There are many, many things that I learned regarding the word and love action surrender. In looking at this passage, I can honestly say that I became even more aware of the behavioral characteristics of Jesus. He was so driven. He was so focused. He was bold, confident, powerful, confrontational in the best of ways, and He always kept things holy. But still, there’s more! I loved reading about just how abandoned to the cause He was.
As you read and study this weekend and into next week, slow yourself down just enough to really digest this spiritual meat. You will, undoubtedly, enjoy the meal, and you will come into a new appreciation for the Great Surrender. (Please note that I will make plans to add my additional personal thoughts early next week in the comment section of this post.)
This 3-part short study – The Great Surrender – is part of an extended Bible study series that I will be presenting in December 2014. If you would like more information on how you can attend a live class on this subject, please email me at email@example.com. God bless!
At the conclusion of this mini-series, one gift copy of Beautiful Mess: Motherhood for Every Moment will be given away. If you would like to be considered for this prize, simply email me an example of how, when, and where Jesus demonstrated the Great Surrender. Follow the format listed above when submitting your entry. A random winner will be selected on November 30, 2014.