A Special Phone Tree Heart-to-Heart Discussion Series
Heart Wide Open – Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus: (A Quote from the Book): “…once I decided I absolutely had to know Him, once I gave up my average Christian life for the unknown and put my shaky hand in His, God began to transform my dry, checklist living…”
Table Talk: Read a few of the words that Shellie Rushing Tomlinson wrote in the first chapter of her book and see if they sound familiar to you. See if they resonate with you. Could they be words that you have uttered to yourself at one time or another? Perhaps, her words are the very words you are saying to yourself even now.
“I became increasingly skilled at being present in body alone while my thoughts were occupied elsewhere…” (regarding church and church attendance)
“This disconnect between my Sunday morning faith and my everyday experience followed me…”
“…the church-lady gig…I knew the Bible and I knew the rules. Thinking this would be enough, I forged ahead…”
“…any spiritual direction I was offering my kids came strictly from head knowledge gained through my years in the pew. I was merely regurgitating what I’d heard my whole life.”
“Why wasn’t my faith satisfying?…And why did some people seem so passionate about Jesus when all I could muster for Him on my most spiritual day was a healthy respect?”
Table Talk Discussion Questions:
1) Has your faith grown stale? If so, why?
2) Why do you attend church? Is it out of habit or does it have more to do with your worship of the Most High God?
3) Do you choose to pursue God daily or only on special occasions?
4) Is there a correlation between your head knowledge and your heart? Discuss.
5) Is there a particular formula that all Christians are expected to subscribe to in order to determine if they are “holy enough”?
6) Can you honestly say that your heart is wide open to what God has in store for you regarding a relationship with Him?
7) Are you ready to commit the next eight weeks of your life to “trading mundane faith for an exuberant life with Jesus”?
Prayer: Father, please teach us to have a John 17:3 heart. In the name of Jesus. Amen.
To Read an Excerpt From This Book and To Order Your Copy: Heart Wide Open – Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson